Thursday, May 31, 2012

Symantec : LiveUpdate encountered one or more errors, live update failed ( Return code = 2 or Return code = 4)



  You may come across this kind of error when you try to configure sepm live update through a proxy server.

  This happened to recently and i was desperate to find a way out. Finally got it up and running, Let see the  cause and remedy of that error...



4:13:06 PM IST:  Retry timestamp is over the maximum retry window, switching to regular schedule run.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]
4:13:03 PM IST:  LiveUpdate failed.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]
4:13:03 PM IST:  LUALL.EXE finished running.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]
4:13:03 PM IST:   Return code = 2.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]
4:13:02 PM IST:  LUALL.EXE has been launched.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]
4:13:01 PM IST:  Download started.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]

4:16:15 PM IST:  LiveUpdate failed.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]
4:16:15 PM IST:  LUALL.EXE finished running.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]
4:16:15 PM IST:  LiveUpdate encountered one or more errors. Return code = 4.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]
4:13:48 PM IST:  LUALL.EXE has been launched.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]
4:13:48 PM IST:  Download started.  [Site: mysepmserver]  [Server: mysepmserver]




When i saw this error in my sepm console i started to digg the live update logs and found these messages.

 -> EVENT - SERVER SELECTION FAILED EVENT - LiveUpdate failed to connect to server liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com at path  via a HTTP connection. The server connection attempt failed with a return code of 1813, Proxy or host authorization is incorrect
 -> Progress Update: HOST_SELECTION_ERROR: Error: 0x802A0024
 -> LiveUpdate did not find any new updates for the given products.
 -> EVENT - SESSION END FAILED EVENT - The LiveUpdate session ran in Silent Mode. LiveUpdate found 0 updates available, of which 0 were installed and 0 failed to install.  The LiveUpdate session exited with a return code of 1813, Proxy or host authorization is incorrect


  After seeing these messages, i told myself that the issue resides in authentication part of proxy configuration. so i did make sure that my username and password used for proxy authentication is right, even after that the log shows same messages.

  After doing a bit of research i found that sepm 11.x is not okay with proxy server configuration with windows authentication.

  So i created a rule in my proxy without authentication to allow the requests to *.symantec.com and *.symantecliveupdate.com from my sepm server.

  Then configured proxy address in sepm without configuring authendication information as in the below image




Then started live update session Voila!! working.. Thanks god. you saved my day.. 

 Hope this helps                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                             Techytipz

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Coupons